It appears that increasing numbers of dog owners are changing to cooking fresh homemade dog food that is healthy and nutritionally balanced. People have become more aware of the real contents of commercial dog food products and they don’t like it.
There are several good reasons for preparing your dog’s meal yourself. Most of them contribute a healthier dog who will probably live longer in consequence.
- Using nutritious dog food recipes can be cheaper than buying the commercial products and much healthier for your dog. Hopefully that will also save on vet’s bills.
- You have control over the ingredients that go into your dog’s food bowl. You know where the ingredients have come from and where the food was prepared.
- You can avoid the chemicals, preservatives, fillers and other toxins that are to be found in a typical can of dog food. Again far healthier for your dog.
- You have the opportunity to use human grade, organic and natural ingredients.
- You can prepare food that is customised to your suit your dog’s age, health and tastes.
Obviously it is not quite as easy as using the prescribed cup measure on the dog kibble bag or checking the suggested size portion on the dog food can. There are a few important things to remember.
- Just as we need a balanced diet so does your pooch. They need to get all their nutritonal requirements for protein, minerals and vitamins, carbohydrates and fat.
- Their daily calorie requirements vary depending on age and breed so it is important to ensure your dog is getting the right size portion of his home made tucker.
- Don’t forget that there are many foods that are dangerous or potentially lethal to dogs . You can download “Dangerous Foods for Dogs” for free from this site.
Whilst all information published on this website has been researched with care, please check with your vet if you have any concerns.
If you have you got a favorite K-9 recipe, we love you to share it with us.