Does your dog have a bed in every room?
Before Cindie joined us, I naively thought that she would just need one bed. Initially that was a furry pillow that went inside her kennel! But these are easily chewed by a bored puppy.
I soon realised that she needed something comfortable to lie on inside the house on the tiled floor. A second bed was added. If it is going to visible in your living space, then preferably this dog bed needs to be presentable and in tune with your decor.
The pillow bed seems to be the best answer here. Fur fabrics are apt to collect daggy fluff that is hard to get rid. I like the nylon waterproof covers, easy to wipe clean and proof against fleas and any little leaks and dribbles. Being waterproof, it can go outside as well if wanted.
Then we planned a long road trip in our SUV where we stayed over night in various dog friendly motels and B&B style accomodation. This demanded a dog bed that was portable and able to fold up easily for carrying in and out of accomodation. What a challenge to find something suitable for a Labrador. The discovery of the DogAbout Folding Travel Bed was a real life saver.
Immediately we had a comfy bed for the back of the SUV, that was easily zipped up and carried into our overnight accomodation with all Cindie’s bits and pieces inside it. It has proven very easy to wash and keep clean.
In fact it was such a hit with Cindie, that it is now her full time “bedroom” bed. Except of course when Mischa, our cat beats her to it.
But this meant we still needed a travel mat or similar for rides in the SUV. I’ve been able to double up the DogAbout Travel Mat for use in my office as well as the car. Again it is easy to wash and rolls up when I need to clear the office space. And it is just the right size for the back of the SUV!
Features to look for
- Size – is there room for your dog to stretch out? Although most dogs sleep curled up, they still need to have room enough for their entire body length.
- Washable – is it easy to remove the cover for washing and cleaning? Regular washing of bed and dog helps avoid the doggie smells.
- Refill – Can you add more filling to the mattress if desired? Over a period of time the filling will flatten under your dog’s weight. Intitially it can just be fluffed up again but eventually you need to add more filling.
- Waterproof base – not essential if the bed is only used inside but still a good insulation against cold floor tiles etc
- Portability – how easy is it to move around and store?